I hope you are already familiar with HTML’s <form> element. HTML5 form has extended its usability up to a larger extent by introducing many new input types, attributes and elements. However...
Time required: 10-15 minutes
Have you also been wandering over different websites to find a tutorial which would help you in getting familiar with HTML5? If yes, then your quest is finally over. Just spend your 10-15 minutes in getting concise knowledge about what HTML5 is and what are areas of its application! And here goes an introduction to HTML5.
What is HTML5?
HTML5 is a newer version of HTML (Hypertext Markup Language, a language used for web page markup). It is still under development by W3C.
How is it different from older versions?
- New elements like <article>, <canvas>, etc. have been included.
- Old elements like <center>, <frame>, etc. have been deprecated.
- New input types and attributes such as range, url, etc. have been added.
- Can be used with other scripting languages for better scripting of web applications.
- Many new features like offline storage, Geolocation, etc. have been added.
What new features are included?
Semantics - With a complete bunch of new structural elements such as tags, attributes, etc. and new formatting principles, HTML5 is ready to simplify the web development process for designers and developers.
Offline and Storage - Storing data on client’s PC through browser for local/offline use is another fantastic feature of HTML5.
Device Access - Retrieving device address through Geolocation feature or using its microphone for some operation through audio/video feature i.e. Accessing device for some use is another feature added in HTML5.
Connectivity – More efficient real-time conversations and faster data exchange between client and server can be achieved through this feature.
Multimedia – New tags like <video> have been introduced to embed multimedia files in the web page in much efficient and advanced manner.
Graphics and 3D Effects - Animations using canvas tag, CSS3 3D features have also been used with HTML5 to improve user’s experience with web development.
Support for CSS3 - CSS3 is new version of Cascading Style Sheets, another web designing language which is used as a support for HTML to beautify web pages.
What is the scope of Implementation?
- WordPress – The 18% of Internet crowd is using this not just another CMS. Many effective WordPress themes and theme frameworks have been developed and are being developed using HTML5.
- Web Development - Developing web pages using HTML5 is a handy and effective task to do. There are so many new features added like video, canvas, etc. which simplifies the task of crafting web pages and enhance their functionality.
- Application Development - Not just web pages but web applications (Online and Offline both) can also be easily developed using HTML5.
- Local storage - Used to store data locally on client’s computer and retrieve when needed, its similar to concept of cookies but is used for storing large chunks of data.
- Offline web applications - This feature of HTML5 allows you to develop such web applications which can be used even in the offline mode i.e. when you are not connected to internet.
- Geo-location - This feature can figure out your location on the globe whenever you visit a geolocation supported HTML5 application.
HTML5 Desktop Browser Compatibility
However, It has not been completely augmented and is not supported by every browser present in the market, still, major browsers like Maxthon, Google Chrome, Apple Safari and Mozilla Firefox, etc. have included support for its elements. The compatibility cloud given below will help you in knowing how much your browser supports (in %) HTML5.
How to learn? Where to start?
To learn HTML5, you must be having fair knowledge of HTML 4.01 and basic knowledge of other web development concepts such as scripting, web servers, etc. If you think you are ready for that, then simply follow any of these references:
Or you may continue reading our series of HTML5 Tutorials. Astalavista!